SUTRA: Saturated-Unsaturated Finite-Element Transport Model
SUTRA is a compled groundwater flow and quality model developed
by the U.S. Geological Survey. It simulates energy as well as
solute transport in saturated and unsaturated media using a mixture
of finite elements and finite difference bidimensional methods.
It may also take into account the variability of density with
temperature, when simulating the heat trasport.
The definition of the finite element grid is flexible,
but not very user friendly, thus requiring a certain training period.
flow, water quality, saturated
media, unsaturated media, finite element method, finite differences,
heat transport, solute transport, bidimensional domains
The program can be purchased from:
Scientific Software Group
P.O. Box 23041
20026-3041 - U.S.A.
Tel: (703) 620-9214
Clifford I. Voss
U.S. Geological Survey
- Bear, Jacob, 1979, Hydraulics of groundwater, McGraw-Hill,
New York, 567 pp.
- Desai C.S. and Contractor D.N. 1977, Finite element analysis
of flow, diffusion and salt water intrusion in porous media: in
formulation and computational algorithms in finite element analysis
by Bathe K.J. (editors) and others, MIT Press, p.958-983.
- Frind E.O. 1982, Simulation of long-term transient density-dependent
transport in groundwater, Advances in Water Resources, v.5,p.73-97
- Gellhar L.W. and Axness, Carl L., 1983, Three-dimensional
stochastic analysis of macrodispersion in aquifers, Water Resources
Research, v.19, no.1,p.161-180
- Gelhar, L.W., and Collins, M.A.,1971,General analysis of longitudinal
dispersion in nonuniform flow, Water Resources Research, v.7,no.6,p.1511-1521
- Huyakorn,P.S., and Pinder, George F.,1983, Computational Methods
in Subsurface Flow, Academic Press, New York, 473p.
- Konikow,L.F., 1977,Modeling chloride movement in the alluvial
aquifer at the rocky mountain arsenal, Colorado, U.S. Geological
Survey Water Supply Paper 2044,43p.
- Pinder, G.F., and Gray W.G. 1977 Finite Element Simulation
in surface and subsurface hydrology, Academic Press, New York,
- Wang, H.F. and Anderson M.P. 1982, Introduction to Groundwater
Modeling, Freeman and Co., San Francisco, 237 p.